Now Hiring for Firefighter/EMT!
St. Andrews Fire Department (SAFD) is accepting applications for Firefighter/EMT. Interested candidates should submit their applications to 1775 Ashley River Road, Attn: Fire Chief, Charleston, SC 29407 or via email to email@example.com. Please be sure to complete all of the requested information and return the application by 5 p.m. on Friday, December 15, 2017.
Upon proper completion of the application, you may be invited to take the entrance exam on Saturday, January 13, 2018. This will consist of a written exam, an integrity exam, and a job-related physical agility exam. Failure of any of the three evaluations will result in being removed from consideration for employment. If you have successfully completed the three evaluations listed above, you may be afforded an opportunity to interview with a member(s) of the SAFD’s senior staff. It will be the final decision of the Fire Chief and/or designee of the possibility of employment with the department. Pay is subject to experience.
- Respond to emergency calls for fire, medical, and other emergency situations.
- Removes individuals from dangerous/hazardous situations.
- Performs all activities necessary to suppress/extinguish fires.
- Assesses emergency medical problems and performs prescribed treatment as outlined and authorized by NREMT and SCDHEC guidelines.
- Cleans/maintains fire stations, grounds, apparatus, and other equipment; makes minor repairs/adjustments to apparatus and equipment.
- Operates machinery, equipment, and light motor vehicles; ensures appropriate maintenance; may operate specialized fire vehicles/equipment (fire engines, ladder trucks, pumps, etc.) with sufficient experience and training.
- Receives and/or prepares various documentation (forms, checklists, reports, correspondence, etc.): processes, completes, and/or forwards as appropriate.
- Responds to routine requests for information from officials, employees, members of staff, the public or other individuals.
- Participates in and conducts training classes.
- Performs other duties related to fire and emergency medical service as prescribed by the office of the fire chief.
- IFSAC Firefighter II
- 18 years old
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must pass a background check, drug test, & physical evaluation.
SAFD offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health insurance, paid leave, 401k, longevity pay, certification incentives, and life insurance to name a few.
St. Andrews Fire Department (SAFD) provides fire, rescue, and first responder services to the unincorporated area of West Ashley. The operational staff is divided into a ladder company, a rescue company, three engine companies, and a quick response vehicle (QRV) operating out of four fire stations. Each company is staffed with a minimum of three members, except the QRV which is staffed with two, on a daily basis under the direction of a Battalion Chief. Through a commitment of automatic aid, we assist the fire departments of North Charleston, St. John’s, James Island, and City of Charleston in meeting their missions on a daily basis.
SAFD Fire Stations
- Station 1 (Headquarters)
1775 Ashley River Rd. Charleston, SC 29407
- Station 2
2480 Savannah Highway Charleston, SC 29414
- Station 3
2590 Ashley River Rd. Charleston, SC 29414
- Station 4
1340 Bees Ferry Rd. Charleston, SC 29414