A) Accumulation of garbage shall be placed in the Blue 90 gallon cart provided to you by St. Andrews Public Service District (PSD). If you find that one cart isn’t enough, please call the main office and request an additional cart. The PSD can also provide additional carts for temporary use, simply call the Administration office to schedule how many carts are needed and when they need to be picked up. Examples for temporary use include weddings, parties, funerals, etc.
The 90 gallon cart provided is the property of St. Andrews PSD and therefore, should remain at the property to which delivered. If you are moving, please call the PSD office so personnel can pick up the cart. The cart shall be placed at the side of your publicly traveled street or road, at a location that will not interfere with passage of traffic or pedestrians, no later than 6:30 AM on the scheduled day for collection. If you are late getting your cart out, please call the PSD Administration office and personnel will make every effort to come back and dump your cart.
The PSD offers a “Personalized Cart Service” for elderly and disabled homeowners. Please call the PSD Administration office to be put on this list. It allows laborers permission to walk up to where the cart is located, take it, dump it, and return it to its original location. The cart must be visible from the street and accessible (i.e. the cart cannot be behind a fence, in the backyard, etc.).
B) In the event garbage or trash is being scattered by humans, animals or any other reason, the PSD shall have no obligation to collect the scattered debris and the collection of such debris will be the responsibility of the homeowner/occupant.
C) If your cart is stolen, please contact the PSD Administration office. Office personnel will give you the serial number of the cart and you must file a police report and provide the PSD with a copy. The PSD also recommends for the resident to look around their neighborhood to try and locate the cart, as it might have been misplaced. If not found, and if the resident has a copy of the police report, the PSD will replace the cart. If a cart is damaged beyond repair due to negligence, the homeowner/occupant shall be responsible to reimburse the PSD the purchase price of the cart before a replacement is issued.
If there are any problems with your cart, such as broken/missing wheels, broken bars, or missing or worn down wear pads, please call the PSD Administration office so personnel can make repairs or replace your cart. In order to save the taxpayers money, the PSD makes every effort to repair the cart first.
Residents have the option to purchase additional carts for the unit price of $87.50 for garbage or yard debris only. Once purchased, the cart will become property of the resident, therefore all maintenance will be the responsibility of the resident. Payment can be made via cash or check and mailed to:
St. Andrews Public Service District, Attn: Accounts Receivables, P.O. Box 30305 Charleston, SC 29417
A) The PSD also provides removal of “bulky household” items (i.e. lumber, plywood, furniture, etc.), “trash” (i.e. limbs, shrubs, cut up trees, palm fronds, etc.), “bagged yard debris” (i.e. grass clippings, leaves, pine straw, etc., however, the PSD does not pick up DIRT OR MULCH, so please do not put them in paper bags or personal containers), “E-waste” (i.e. electronic devices, basically anything that runs off electricity or batteries), and “metal and glass.”
- Items are to be separated as follows: Please keep garbage in the issued PSD blue garbage carts only. Yard debris, excluding dirt and mulch, must be in paper bags or personal containers (LIMIT 2) weighing less than 30 lbs. Please no yard debris in the issued PSD blue garbage carts. Please keep all other items in separate piles adjacent to the issued PSD blue garbage cart. MATERIALS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP IF IT IS UNDER low lying limbs, any type of power, phone or cable lines OR if it is placed over water meters or manholes, or adjacent to fire hydrants, mailboxes or vehicles. Doing so will aide our workers in doing their jobs safely and efficiently.
- Bulky household items will be picked up with the garbage by the garbage truck unless it is too large or heavy for the laborers to handle, in which case it will be picked up by the boom truck. MATERIALS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP IF IT IS UNDER low lying limbs, any type of power, phone or cable lines OR if it is placed over water meters or manholes, or adjacent to fire hydrants, mailboxes or vehicles.
- Trash will be picked up by the trash truck on the same day as garbage unless the pile is too heavy or dense. If that is the case, then it will be picked up by the boom truck. Depending on how busy the season, it may be a day or two after the resident’s scheduled pickup day for boom truck piles to be removed. However, the PSD makes every effort to pick it up on the scheduled pickup day. MATERIALS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP IF IT IS UNDER low lying limbs, any type of power, phone or cable lines OR if it is placed over water meters or manholes, or adjacent to fire hydrants, mailboxes or vehicles.
- E-waste (electronics), metal, and any glass doors or windows will be picked up by a pickup truck on the same day as garbage pickup.
- Bagged yard debris will be picked up on the same day as garbage pickup. MATERIALS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP IF IT IS UNDER low lying limbs, any type of power, phone or cable lines OR if it is placed over water meters or manholes, or adjacent to fire hydrants, mailboxes or vehicles.
B) The PSD cannot pick up creosote treated poles, lumber or railroad ties. These items cannot be taken to Bees Ferry Landfill for disposal. Other items not picked up by the PSD are as follows: ammunition, CFL light bulbs and tubes, explosives, pathological wastes (including infectious wastes and animal carcasses), pesticides, motor oils (used or clean), used oil filters, paint cans which contain liquid paint, and cesspool effluents or liquid waste. Please contact the Bees Ferry Landfill to find out how to dispose of these items. Please dispose of any household chemicals such as bleach and ammonia or any cleaners that contain these chemicals before putting containers in your garbage cart. When these chemicals combine they produce toxic fumes that can endanger the lives of our employees.
C) “E-waste” cannot be mixed in with garbage. It has to be recycled. Please do not put E-waste in the blue PSD cart. The PSD will pick up any electronics that are set to the curb. The PSD also picks up metal. If you have larger items, please contact the PSD Administration office so personnel can make arrangements to pick them up. The PSD also picks up batteries, tires with rims, and tires without rims. ST. ANDREWS IS NO LONGER ABLE TO PICK UP TV’S FOR DISPOSAL. Television sets may be dropped off to the Bees Ferry Landfill located at 1344 Bees Ferry Road, Charleston, SC 29414 by residents only.
D) Large yard debris such as logs, limbs, shrubs, and stumps shall be placed at the curb in the following manner:
- Length of material will be limited to 4 feet.
- Diameter of logs/stumps will be limited to 2 feet.
- Larger diameter logs will have to be cut to shorter lengths so as not to damage the knuckle boom arms/cylinders.
Materials WILL NOT be picked up under low lying limbs, any type of power, phone/cable lines, water meters, manholes, or adjacent to fire hydrants, mail boxes or vehicles. If materials are covering anything listed and it is damaged, the PSD will not be held responsible for any damage. Also if the material is under, beside or on top of any obstruction as listed above, the boom truck driver will report the address and the material will not be picked up. The reason being, it prevents the knuckle boom truck from damaging any property or the PSD vehicle/personnel.
The PSD encourages residents to call the Administration office to let personnel know if they have a large pile so it can be scheduled for a pick up. The PSD normally picks up one truckload per week per residence, but if time allows, the PSD will try to accommodate residents who have more than that.
E) Collections for materials listed above will be picked up in the following manner:
- All items must be separated in the following categories: small bush piles, bagged yard debris, bulky household, metal/e-waste and large bush piles.
- Any materials “MIXED TOGETHER” shall not be picked up until the resident separates materials properly.
- Collection days shall be identified by the PSD. Every effort will be made to notify all residents of collection days or changes.
- Routes are subject to change as seen fit by the Superintendent and is supported by the District Manager. Cases can include holidays, natural disasters, etc.
F) Apartment complexes, condominiums, townhouses, and other multi-family complexes are considered residential units. Collections will be performed as prescribed in proceeding paragraphs. Some variations, such as clusters of carts are allowed. All such variations must be approved by the Environmental Services Superintendent.
G) Contractor’s and builder’s refuse bricks, lumber scraps, mortar, plaster, roofing, shingles, gutters, tree and land clearing debris, and all other materials generated by the contractor shall be removed by the contractor, owner or tenant of the premises, each being jointly and severally responsible for such removal and lawful disposal.
H) The PSD shall designate an agent to enforce provisions of these regulations.
**For any inquiries please call the Administration Office at 843-556-6310. The Administration Office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. **